1) Thin spears tend to have a strong grassy flavor, while the fatter ones are more mellow.
2) Asparagus loses flavor more rapidly than other veggies, therefore it is best used as soon as possible after purchasing, especially if bought from a grocery store.
3) White asparagus owes its lack of color to being cultivated underground. Farmers pile dirt on top of the stalks as they grow so they don't absorb sunlight and produce chlorophyll, the chemical that gives plants their green hue ( in addition to a few extra nutrients).
4) All shades of asparagus can be used interchangeably in recipes. However, some people are of the opinion the white variety taste somewhat sweeter.
5) Asparagus nutrition stat: approx. 1/2 cup , about 4-6 medium spears provides: 13 calories, 1 gram of fiber, 135 grams of potassium and 35 grams of folate