Tuesday, July 10, 2012
6 Health Consequences of Obesity
1) Overweight and obesity is closely linked to type 2 diabetes. Approx. 80% of people with diabetes are overweight or obese.
2) For every two pound increase in weight, the risk of developing arthritis is increased by approx. 12 %.
3) Sleep apnea (interrupted breathing while sleeping) is more common in obese/overweight individuals.
4) Individuals who are obese have a 50 to 100% increased risk of premature death from all causes,
compared to those with a healthy weight.
5) Women who gain more than 20 pounds from 18 to midlife double their risk of post-menopauseal breast cancer compared with women whose weight remains stable.
6) High blood pressure is twice as prevalent in adults who are obese than those who are at a healthy weight.
*Small weight losses as low as 5-15 % of total body weight in a person who is overweight or obese reduces risk factors for some diseases, in particular heart disease. *