1) Containers and foods that are round or oval heat more evenly than those that are rectangular or square.
2) Most foods will heat more evenly and faster if covered.
3) Foods with skins or membranes, for example whole potatoes, egg yolks should be pierced before cooking to prevent bursting
4) Foods that are fresh cook faster than those that are not fresh.
5) Foods that contain moisture cook faster than drier foods.
6) It is a good practice to check and stir foods after one-half of their total cooking time.