1) Machines are more costly than free weights. Free weights allow performance of numerous exercises with very few pieces of equipment.
2) Some machines may hinder development of coordination as stabilizer muscle activity is limited.
3) Machines enable the performance of some exercises that are difficult with free weights.
4) free weights allow for very easy replication movement seen in athletics or activity of daily living.
5) Weight machines: safe and easy to learn. Higher stability for beginners and special popualtions.
6) Free weights prove effective for all health and skill related elelments of fitness.