1) Vitamin C is an antioxidant.
2) Vitamin C plays an important role in the formation of collagen, a fibrous protein that assist in reinforcing the connective tissues that hold together the structures of the body.
3) Vitamin C enables cells of the immune system to function properly.
4) Very good sources of Vitamin C include: orange juice, wheat bran flakes, strawberries, cooked broccoli, fresh cantaloupe, canned tomato juice, pineapple and spinach.
5) For adults aged 19 and older, the RDA for vitamin C is 90 milligrams per day for men and 75 milligrams per day for women.
6) Smoking increases the metabolic turnover of Vitamin C thus increasing the requirement by 35 milligrams per day for smokers.